Posts filed under ‘visual novels’
Let us consider the current environment for VN translations today.
If you can finally get your butts off and find a group of people willing to agree to disagree and translate a game of your liking, and for some reason, you actually find some hosting that is not TLwiki, you have to face the hordes of Anonymous at 4han, demanding to know when the patch is out. On top of that, there’s the nasty attacks by other people, other groups… … …
And there’s of course the dreaded Berne Convention. Oh, but that’s just an excuse! Remember Rapelay That’s the reason why C&Ds are flying all over the place. Have I also mentioned that doing this is in direct violation of the Berne Convention and that you are at the mercy of your respective governments should they find out? Assuming you never asked permissions?
Starting to dislike the above situation? So do I.
Thankfully, a friend of mine has started a new… … … way of doing things. Find the guy, and ask him for permission to translate the game. Post the email that approves said translations, and BAM. It’s a legal work! Better still, you’ll be working with like-minded people, learning the tricks of the trade while you’re at it!
Sounds too good to be true? It isn’t!
Yes, you read that right. Proper Permissions! To translate stuff! And to keep asses covered! Honeypots notwithstanding.
WHAT HAS SCIENCE HAVE I DONE D:
Why am I playing Sharin No Kuni after so long
Why am I Chapter 2
Why am I staring at THE TERRIBLE SEXYTIME OF THE SOUL D:
Why is Sachi so moe D:
Why isn’t it animated D:
Why is the Main Character such a manipulative weaksauce M piece of crap asshole
(Translation: I am playing Sharin no Kuni, and I am enjoying myself immensely. Until I had to make a choice at the Hscene. And then my tenous grip on reality snapped. Like a twig.)
I wish I were kidding, but it would seem that while everyone is panicking about NO MOAR EROGE FROM JAPAN, it would seem that JAST USA (obviously NSFW) and MangaGamer (obviously NSFW) are looking to release works from Nitro+ and Ryukushi07 respectively.
Guess what that means?
Seriously, take a guess.
Mouth big enough to let a shoggoth in? Deep One got your tongue? Hanyuu ate all your cookies? Well…
That means delicious loli book sex, SHOGGOTH SEX SHOGGOTH SEX SHOGGOTH SEX, and I LOVE YOU, YOU LOVE ME, YES HINAMIZAWA.
Translation: Look forward to Demonbane, Saya no Uta, and All the Higurashi stuff in English.
Excuse me while I jump for joy.
EPIC EDIT EDITION: Apparently, MangaGamer seems to have gotten the rights to Navel’s Shuffle! and most probably Koihime Musou. HEY WAH, YOU LISTENING?
TRIPLE EDIT: I did not see this site pop up and I am shocked. Shocked by this site’s existence. Yes I am. (Also known as Nitro+ USA site is now up.)
As a commeration of their 15 years of not declaring war on anybody’s sanity and existence, they have decided to have a heroine’s gallery (of sorts) where they will pay several artists several million yen each to draw weapons of mass dis-traction, er, I mean, popular females from Dengeki Daioh.
And now, I will go through the lineup and hope NOT to get early injuries before theyeven launch their collective assault.
- Aoki Ume (Hidamari Sketch) x ToHeart [OW MY NUTBLADDER]
- Akane Kotetsu (Vandread manga) x ToHeart
- Ayakura Jyuu (Spice & Wolf novel art) x Toaru kagaku no railgun [Pffffffffffffffffffft.]
- Arufa (Sharin no kuni game) x Toradora! [T_T]
- Itou Noizi (Haruhi novel art, Shana novel art) x Toradora! [GAH]
- Ishikei (NiseMIDIdoronokai) x Kashimashi ~girl meets girl~ [SOMEBODY HELP ME]
- Ueda Yumehito (True Tears anime) x Toaru kagaku no railgun [HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA]
- okama (all sorts of cool stuff) x GUNSLINGER GIRL
- Kuroboshi Kouhaku (Kino no tabi novel art) x ToHeart [O_O]
- KEI (Vocaloid 2 Hatsune Miku etc) x Ichigo Mashimaro [BLARG]
- Kouga Yun (LOVELESS) x GUNSLINGER GIRL
- Kotamaru (Twinkle Crusaders, Prism Ark) x Shingetsutan Tsukihime […I’m so dead.]
- Kobayashi Jin (School Rumble) x Azumanga Daioh [NO NOT THAT COMBO.]
- Kobuichi (Zetsubou, SNOW) x Shingetsutan Tsukihime [ZETSUBOU SHI- It’s not Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?]
- Komatsu E-ji (planetarian, Iriya no sora) x Daioh Heroines [O_O, 😦 T_T ZETSUBOU SHITA!]
- Satou Shouji (Highschool of the dead) x Azumanga Daioh
- Shiina Yuu (Legend of heroes 6) x Shakugan no Shana
- Sumaku Jungo (Carbon Base) x Ichigeki sacchuu!! Hoihoi-san
- Sogabe Shuuji (Senko no Ronde) x Azumanga Daioh
- Tomoseshunsaku (Akatsuki no goei) x ToHeart
- Nanao Naru (D.C., ef, Suika) x Kokoro Toshokan
- Haga Yui (Lotte no omocha!) x Ninin ga Shinobuden
- Harada Takehito (Disgaea series) x Ichigo Mashimaro [FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf]
- Fujima Takuya (Negima!? NEO, Nanoha Vivid) x ToHeart
- Miyama Zero (Princess Bride) x Shakugan no Shana
- Miwa Shirou (GUILTY GEAR XX / -SLASH-) x GUNSLINGER GIRL
- Muririn (Nanami to Konomi no oshiete A.B.C) x Toradora!
- Yuuki Hagure (WIRE FRAME) x Kashimashi ~girl meets girl~
- Youta (SH@PPLE) x Kokoro Toshokan
- Yoshizaki Mine (Keroro Gunso, Otomedius) x Ninin ga Shinobuden [*sounds of breaking glass]
- refeia (Devils Devel Concept) x Ichigeki sacchuu!! Hoihoi-san
- Ryouka (Akane iro ni somaru saka game) x Kemeko DX [*Sounds of utter despair]
- Watashiya Kaworu (Kodomo no jikan) x Kemeko DX [*sounds of- CTHULHU FTHAGN]
GAH I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH HPS TO LAST THE REAL ATTACK. I AM SO DEAD.
…At least there’s no Feena 😛
Also not funny.
Oh, and the cancer that is killing KyoAni? They are too reliant on attention-to-detail. If you read the manga, the quality is almost the same as the animé. While this may be KyoAni’s strongest point, it is also their weakest. Without any form of minor rewrite to the script, they are only able to produce animé that are a bit too faithful to the manga series. So I hear you liek mudkips. And that’s the cancer that is killing Kyoani.
I was kinda wondering why they had that one shot where they showed Misae in a typical porn pose that emphasized how smoking hot she was (AS IF WE DIDN’T ALREADY KNOW). Also, TOMOYO KYOU IN DA LOCKA. Apart from that, the episode itself was a masterstroke in shot placement, pace, and scenery porn, but then again, so was the whole first season.
And again when Kotomi wasn’t needed and still showed up. And the Fuuko Master scenes (which were really annoying, cinematically speaking). And the misture and sudden tying up of the Kyou/Tomoyo route mash. Or the fact that the OP scene was pretty much a Key staple OP in extremely pretty animated form (personally, Kanon did the Key OP thing a lot better. I have never seen such a recockulous amount of effort into SHOWING Ayu eating her taiyaki. Or Mai’s hair. Oh lawks the hair) Yes all the Key VNs have this annoying roll call of characters. Usually the main heroines tho. But rest assured, IT’S ALL THERE IN THE VNS.
Nor could I understand the seemingly unrelated scenes where robot and girl interact (though this originally was attributed to my unwillingness to suspend my disbelief). Which also manifested itself as Ayu’s I HAS A DREAM scenes right before every arc. AND THE END. DRR DRR DRR.
It is of my personal opinion that CLANNAD is still one of the most beautiful works of animation I have ever seen. In terms of animation, storytelling, and cinematography, it’s top-class. But it does seem that everyone has more than just mere reservations about the show, sometimes even bordering onto outright hatred, which also echo my personal reservations about the series.
Which would mean that there is some fundamental problem that cannot be atributed to just the human sentiment of wanting either more or too much from everything (which is still the root cause of the problem here.). Too much attention to detail, perhaps, KyoAni? I believe so.
The problem here is this. KyoAni prides itself on attention-to-detail. Probably waaaaaaaay too much. CLANNAD is not your typical VN, where you can pick your girl and be a happy man (relatively speaking). Every single arc is connected to the main plot (or so I hear). It is one of the most ambitious VNs ever made (it was 4 years in the making and drained a lot of money, too), so any adaptation has to be extremely ambitious in order to meet this extremely tall order.
It’s painfully obvious that KyoAni has stretched itself to breaking point to deliever what I personally feel is their magnum opus (AS IF KANON WASN’T ENOUGH ALREADY), and it’s showing. The pandering (OH LAWKS NOT THE PANDERING), the seemingly un-CLANNAD shots (like that one Misae shot), the sloppiness (as some people has said), all the minor nitpickings people are nitpicking over…
If you ask me, it’s clear that KyoAni has taken a job that is too big for their britches, even for a studio like thiers. CLANNAD was an insane gamble that paid off big-time for Key, and to adapt something this big requires not just extremely big balls (which KyoAni have already shown by taking on this Sisyphyean gamble), it requires nerves of steel, an insane director with an extremely creative BENT (think Shinbo, but less artsy), and unwavering belief in what they do. And even when they lack some of the things required, they still pull through, even if it feels lacking (like pretty much everyone around these parts here feel).
Though if you ask me, by saying CLANNAD the animé sucks, you’re gonna have to say CLANNAD the VN sucks too. For being way too ambitious. Because the fault does not lie with the studio, it’s with the source material.
Are you forcing me, then, to say Key sucks? Because that’s what everyone wants me to do. And because it’s not just cool to hate on sacred cashcows, it brings in the hits, and in the interests of more hits, I’m going to say it out now.
Key sucks. ONE sucked monkeyballs. Kanon is a piece of shit. AIR deserves to be consigned to a trash heap. CLANNAD is tripe and deserves to be thrown into the shredder. Tomoy o After is more than crap, it’s anathema (OH WAIT), Little Busters is made of fail and lose and is so overrated it needs to die in a fire (AND THE PORN EDITION TOO). And planetarian may be a step in the right direction, but it still sucks. In fact, Maeda Jun deserves to be anally raped by FROZEN ICYDONGS for making such shit.
*just died even more inside.
1. I’d love to link to Hianano’s FANGIRL RAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEE, but SERVER DIED, BLUEHOST SUCKS.
2. The main problem is still the fact we demand too much from everything. When we finally learn to expect less and accept more, it is there that we find true enjoyment.
3. GONZO is was awesome.
4. I hate myself.
KANON TEASER PATCH IS OUT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF RADICALR IS WIN. AND NEWS. SANYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I am slower than slowpoke.
TYPE-MOON announces more than used goods Mahoyo, gives Sacchin the worst sex scene ever her due.
Also no delicious Aoko sechz.
I’m both happy and mildly disappointed at the news. Mostly because I can’t use one of my favorite TYPE-MOON jokes anymore. Hopefully the Sacchin sex scene is so horrible “Isn’t it sad, Sacchin?” comes to mean something else other than her lack of a route 😛