YOU GOT BURNT: The Reverse Thieves Secret Santa 2009 Anime Review
No seriously, I have no idea on how to begin this.
I’m kinda lost on how to review Martian Successor Nadesico, because it’s begging for a rather hilarious manner as to how it gets reviewed, so…
You know what, i’m just gonna do it.
How do you like your mecha? Hot-blooded and epic, kinda like GaoGaiGar and all them super robot shows? Realistic, full of what one could term mecha porn, and full of drama, ala Gundam? MAXIMUM FAIL, like Eva?
Or maybe you just want a harem show in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE. Which is what Nadesico (supposedly) is.
Now, being handed this to watch, I was pretty hyped. I had heard good things about it. I was gonna buy the R1s too, BUT THIS CAME FIRST.
Anyway, I watched. And was hooked instantly. Okay, I may be predisposed towards the show in the first place (seeing as it’s pretty much a harem show IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE), but this show is hilarious.
Right from the start, it hooks you in, and refuses to let go until you finish the show. Which isn’t a bad watch, considering that it’s the 1990s (and squaring off with hits like Patlabor, G Gundam and Macross 7). It’s funny in it’s crude and refined ways. Such as when you realize that the Jovians are actually super robot obssessed otaku. Their entire civilization is pretty much the living embodiment of a super robot animé. No seriously. Or the parts where the designated accountant butts in with “It’s going to cost loads of money”.
You know what? I’ll just put a pros and cons bullet list.
- Manages to pull off a serious storyline while being extremely funny.
- Hoshino Ruri (Yes, she’s only 10. Yes, everyone does not care.)
- Pulls off the biggest scam ever: It’s a harem story IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE, with mecha and everything.
- Mocks every single known mecha (and animé) convention known then, and then proceeds to break it with a sledgehammer.
- Hoshino Ruri
- Corporate ownership of a machine of war is hilarious.
- Hoshino Ruri (I am totally serious here, Ruri alone is worth 3 pros)
- Story seems all over the place
- It’s a harem story IN SPAAAAAAAAACE.
- 1990s animation standards. Man, some scenes still look downright ugly.
- Inconsistent character designs. At times.
It’s hilarious, it’s self-parodying, and it mocks even Haruhi in terms of pandering. (Ruri and Yurika are enough cannon fodder against Haruhi and gang, no shit.) If you consider Haruhi the best animé ever you definitely have to watch this. Heck, even if you’re bored, you have to watch show.
I’m supposed to rage now, aren’t I? But this show is A++ material. It’s that good.