planetarian: 2 years on, changes, recollections, and hope.
Everyone knows I’ve been somewhat zealous with the promotion of this game, and it’s personal benefits (to me mostly), so instead of asking people to get the game, I will simply say this:
Ever since I played that game all the way back on that October day, I have found my life changed beyond comparison. Long story short, I became a Christian, and accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, yaddayaddayadda. Even though it did take me a year to finally do it.
While I felt really horrible inside the third playthrough, no tears were shed. While this could be attributed to the fact I was playing it this time round at a late hour and was kinda rushing through it (1.5 hours instead of 3) and that I had already played the game twice and listened to the soundtrack incessantly, still…
I feel that the game has done it’s job. It does not matter if I cry or not.
But enough about my newfound zeal.
The year that preceded this playthrough was a harsh one. Threats of lawsuits, general dissonance, pile after pile of unhappy events…
In no particular order:
- DarkMirage kicking up a ton of fuss over silly fansubs
- TH2 Patch Fiasco
- GipFace lashing out at Visualnews like a conceited Pharisee
- tsubaki taking a cheap shot at me
- Owen being an elitist mindless prick
- Justin Sevakis and ANN (who are so anti-fansub you’d think they were like Christian/Islamic fundamentalists instead of Americans) thinking they can eradicate fansubs by appealing to Japan in their letter
- Growing dissatisfaction with the whole thing, seeing as both sides have no righteous argument in which to lure me over
- Realizing that Singaporeans pretty much flat out do not care at all about ANTHING, as long as it is not relevant to their interests
And those are just what I can remember offhand. Of course, the year has not been a total loss.
- Mirror Moon has released the first of 3 Fate/Stay Night English Patches, with the second to follow
- Utawarerumono has been picked up and is now being proofread
- CLANNAD, Gurren Lagann, and ef
- An undying hope that humanity will pick up the pieces and get along (even though it will not be so, I’m naive like that)
- (insert something about religion here, I’m too lazy to put it in words)
- CLANNAD English translation project chugging along fine
- ~ONE~ English Patch
One might say these small things aren’t worth much cheer, but trust me, when things look bleak, it’s often the smallest rays of hope that can brighten an otherwise dreary, sad year. It is true, then, the words of the Teacher, when he said,
“it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.” – Ecclesiastes 5:18
Indeed, when the world seems to come apart at the seams, it is often the little things that make it seem not so bad.
As Christmas approaches, I wish you all a happy Christmas, in the hope that you will, one day, recognize Jesus as your personal Savior. I am not under compulsion to force this into anyone’s throat (though the thought of chucking down Bibles down people’s throats entertains me so sometimes), nor am I compelled to force anyone to convert. I am only a messenger, nothing more, nothing less. It is better for a man to come into the halls of the Lord with thanksgiving, rather than fear. It works much better, and people don’t grumble so much.
(Fun fact: Did ou know that Jesus was also born on the 6th of December, instead of the 25th? I know I’ll be lynched for this, I know, but the 25th is a rather convenient date, is it not?)